Thursday, March 16, 2017

Watching Carrots Grow

I thought I would share a poem with you that I wrote this month before the Easter season.  I call it "Watching Carrots Grow" and since I have several pieces that actually feature carrots I thought it was appropriate to let them serve as the illustration.

This first sketch is actually titled "Watching Carrots Grow" and you will have to use your imagination like I did here to actually believe that a rabbit wouldn't have already eaten every visible part of that carrot.  As you know, Rabbits are like eating machines.

The second sketch I have here is a long time favorite of mine.  I just love the contrast between the monochrome rabbit and the colorful carrots.  I call this one "Don't Forget Your Vegetables".

 The last piece is actually a pretty large painting that I did as part of the Down Country Road series.  I used my adorable grandson, Noah to pose for my little boy with a basket full of carrots.  I call this piece "Fence Post Rendezvous".  You can see by looking at the picture that these two young ones have taken a detour from the garden for the purpose of feeding the horse some fresh picked carrots.  I'm sure the horse is in for a real treat.


I hope you enjoy my artwork and my poem.  Drop me a message and let me know.  If you want to see more of my artwork, please visit my website at JulieTownsendStudio.com

 WATCHING CARROTS GROW
By
Julie Townsend

Waiting and watching for Carrots to grow
Have you ever seen anything so painfully slow?
From the time in the spring when you place the seeds in soil
And don’t you forget to water, weed, sweat and toil

Then you jump for joy when you see that first bright leafy green
Looking like a plate decoration for some fancy cuisine
Remember with carrots the important part is growing out of sight
Deep in the ground without a single spot of light

For it’s the roots of the carrot that cause your lips to smack
Their crunchy sweetness is always a favorite snack
Patience is a virtue many will say
And you better have plenty because it takes many a day

Remember the saying “Good things come to those who wait”
Waiting you must do before that orange goodness is on your plate
There is an important lesson that you should take heed
Plant these words deep in your heart to grow just like a weed

I’ve read in the Bible that we should “fix our eyes on things unseen”
It’s not the outward appearance that makes you selfish and mean
But just like carrots that grow underground and out of our sight
It’s those invisible qualities of Love, Joy and Peace that makes you shine bright

And let’s not forget to save plenty of room
Because there is nothing so sweet when Kindness and Patience are in full bloom
Stand strong and guard the garden of your heart

The reward of that harvest will give your life a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment