Thursday, December 22, 2016

Everyone Needs a Prowling Dog and a Covorting Cat

Original Dog and Cat before I got creative on them
Today, in Las Vegas, it seems to be raining chocolate cats and gingerbread dogs outside. True to being a long time Las Vegas residents, my husband and I went out gambling today...Not in the slot machine, poker sense but we did take our lives in our hands and brave a drive on the wet roads to go to Michaels for the sole purpose of buying this little plastic dalmatian dog.  Crazy I know, but I thought the rain had stopped when we left but of course it was only a small window like the eye of a hurricane and soon it was pouring around us.  It was at this point in our journey that we began to rethink our decision because we found ourselves sharing the roadway with so many others that didn't have the good sense to stay home.  I was thankful, almost as if we won the Mega Jackpot, when we successfully navigated the many accidents, flowing water, large puddles and crazies to make it safely home.  

The little dog is pretty cute as he is, but I will soon transformed into a one of a kind gingerbread dog with just a little paint.  I looked for a cat to no avail.  There was a nice selections of dragons, tigers and wolf pups, but there seemed to be no cats to choose from in the picked over bins that I could use to make his literary cohort.  I have no choice but to put into service this old Barbie doll pet cat that once belonged to either my daughter, my niece or some strange visitor that might have dropped her from his pocket as he visited our home.  Very soon I will paint her a lovely dark chocolate color.  
Chocolate Cat

Gingerbread Dog













Sugar Plum Tree

Now, In case you are not into 19th century American literature, I'm not speaking in code here, but making many bad references to the famous Eugene Field poem, "The Sugar Plum Tree". 

I know you are going to find this difficult to believe, but adding a little dog and cat to my Christmas decorations is something I have wanted to do for probably over 20 years but haven't accomplished it.  True to my desire to step up my grandma game and Embrace My Creative Self, I am not putting this off any longer.  After today, when my grandchildren come and gaze in awe at my beautiful gingerbread house they will see the complete scene laid out before them and my reading of this beloved treasure will now make complete sense. They will all LOVE poetry from that moment on and grow up to appreciate literature, classical music and paint like little Monets.   Okay this maybe just a wee bit over the top, but Grandmas these days have to stand on their heads,chew bubble gum and juggle 4 or 5 large kitchen knives at the same time to impress a 2 year old that can work your smart phone better than you can.  

I was given this Gingerbread House many, many years ago by a very dear friend.  It was immediately added to the high level of a Treasured Townsend Tradition.  I can't set up that tree and hang those beautiful glass candy pieces from the branches without reciting the well known children's poem written by Eugene Field in 1892- "The Sugar Plum Tree".  
My beautiful Gingerbread House decoration









Here is the entire decoration.  The detail in all the candy, cookies and little gingerbread people are something straight out of a child's dream.  We have enjoyed this piece year after year.  

I hope you enjoy this poem as much as I do.....  






    The Sugar-Plum Tree



      HAVE you ever heard of the Sugar-Plum Tree?
      'Tis a marvel of great renown!
      It blooms on the shore of the Lollypop Sea
      In the garden of Shut-Eye Town;
      The fruit that it bears is so wondrously sweet
      (As those who have tasted it say)
      That good little children have only to eat
      Of that fruit to be happy next day.
      When you've got to the tree, you would have a hard time
      To capture the fruit which I sing;
      The tree is so tall that no person could climb
      To the boughs where the sugar-plums swing!
      But up in that tree sits a chocolate cat,
      And a ginger bread dog prowls below-
      And this is the way you contrive to get at
      Those sugar-plums tempting you so:
      You say but the word to that gingerbread dog
      And he barks with such a terrible zest
      That the chocolate cat is at once all agog,
      As her swelling proportions attest.
      And the chocolate cat goes covorting around
      From this leafy limb unto that,
      And the sugar-plums tumble, of course, to the ground-
      Hurray for that chocolate cat!
      There are marshmallows, gumdrops, and peppermint canes
      With striping of scarlet and gold,
      And you carry away of the treasure that rains,
      As much as your apron can hold!
      So come, little child, cuddle closer to me
      In your dainty white nightcap and gown,
      And I'll rock you away to the Sugar-Plum Tree
      In the garden of Shut-Eye Town.
      Eugene Field


No comments:

Post a Comment